Here’s my dilemma:
I use multiple IM and Skype, and I need to keep my availability status accurate. I use Adium to keep all my IM accounts in order, and gives me global status control in a few clicks, but I also use Skype, so just to get up and leave my computer I have to perform a complicated navigation of applications, menus and clicking to keep my presence accurate.
I have a solution… enter Applescript…
I have embedded some simple AppleScripts in an Automator workflow and exported the result as applications.
There are 2 applications, PresenceAway sets all Adium accounts and your Skype account status to “away”, and PresenceAvailable which sets all your accounts to “online” or “available”.
Using these applications means just a single-click to leave and a single-click to return, while keeping your Online Presence up-to-date.
Download Presence 1.0
Presence 1.0 is really only an “alpha” type release, its under-featured, and buggy. But improvements will follow. If you like the concept, let me know.
There are a couple of known bugs that I will look into correcting for future releases:
- Will not work when Skype and Adium are not open (will launch both applications, then Skype may crash)
Let me know if you find any more problems.
Room for Improvement
As a first release, there is room for improvement. Any ideas or code to contribute, let me know 🙂
- 1.1 – Fix problems that occur when one of the applications is not open
- 1.2 – Add support for iChat, Fire, and possibly other IM applications (MSN for Mac mabye).
- 2.0 – Redevelop as a single application with hot keys
- 3.0 – Add support for different states other than just “available” and “away”
The speed with which these features are implemented will depend on how much time I find I have, and how much feedback I recieve about the concept and which features people would like to see.