It’s been a while between posting… lots going on. I’ll fill you in
soon . I promise.
Until then I’ve been thinking about starting a podcast! As I say, more about the topic to come—however for now, I’ve solved a problem, and the solution deserves to be published on the internet.
(When I was searching the interwebs for advice, none of the sites, forums, blogs, etc had useful advice. Very frustrating…)
If you happen to have or use Rode SmartLav+ lavalier microphones, you’ll know they’re intended to be connected to your smart phone for recording directly.
If you happen to have a Zoom H6 (or other audio recorder) and you’d really like to use your SmartLav’s to record to it, then you have a problem.
These devices don’t connect together easily. And once you have them connected, getting the right power level to them is a pain.
- Rode SmartLav+, connect it to…
- A Rode SC1 (or equivalent) for extension, connect it to…
- A Rode SC3 (or equivalent) to convert from TRRS to TRS, connect it to…
- A Rode VXLR+ to convert from TRS to XLR and convert down from 12V to 3V (thanks Paul Emile Graff for the tip) connect it to…
- The XLR inputs on the Zoom H6
- Set Zoom to +12V Phantom power (plugin power off)
This works! (thank goodness).