The ultimate video studio-on-a-desk
Have been spending a lot of time in video meetings, and running remote training over the last 12 months. Not to mention creating videos for online training, podcasts, youtube, instagram, tiktoks etc.
Found myself collecting a range of pieces of gear and tips and tricks to set the home studio up in such a way that it’s fast and efficient to create videos and hold meetings, trainings and events.
Some of the features it supports:
- Zoom/teleconference calls have two webcams
- one as main view front on
- The other to ‘share’ which allows (via ATEM Mini) switching between 2 camera angles + an overhead camera + a laptop screen
- Overhead view is used for ‘whiteboarding’, drawing diagrams and taking notes
- Laptop screen is used to run slideshows or any software for collaborative viewing
- ATEM Mini also allows for external audio sources (lavelier mic) to be mixed with audio from the laptop (can send video or spotify etc)
- HDMI switch into the teleprompter display allows for:
- An input running directly from the main camera, so you can monitor yourself while staring down the lens
- An input from laptop which can be used to view a teleprompter script, or the participants of your zoom/remote call while you maintain eye contact with the camera
- StreamDeck allows easy access to mute me, mute all others in zoom, or end the zoom call, as well as powerpoint controls and music controls
- A Hue Smart switch controlled by Google Home allows for all the cameras, lights and ATEM to be powered on and off easily together
I may create a more complete run through of the different components and how to hook them together in future. Let me know if this interests you?
Otherwise, for now, here’s a parts list, from which you can piece all this together.
I have reached as much of the 1.2 roadmap goal as I can/am-going-to at the moment, so here’s the release.
I have added support for iChat in this version.
In terms of support for Fire, MSN IM Client, Yahoo IM Client, and others, I have been unable to find AppleScript support for these applications. I have decided for now, that I will be relying wholly on AppleScript (I am at a lack of time to explore other options at the moment).
So until other IM applications add AppleScript support, or unless someone can offer tips, suggestions, advice on other ways to control these applications, Presence will only be able to integrate with iChat, AdiumX and Skype.
Downloads and more information about Presence 1.2 here.
I have met the simple roadmap goals (goal) for Presence 1.1 so I have released it.
Read more about the changes (change), and download Presence 1.1 here.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Here’s my dilemma:
I use multiple IM and Skype, and I need to keep my availability status accurate. I use Adium to keep all my IM accounts in order, and gives me global status control in a few clicks, but I also use Skype, so just to get up and leave my computer I have to perform a complicated navigation of applications, menus and clicking to keep my presence accurate.
I have a solution… enter Applescript…
I have embedded some simple AppleScripts in an Automator workflow and exported the result as applications.
There are 2 applications, PresenceAway sets all Adium accounts and your Skype account status to “away”, and PresenceAvailable which sets all your accounts to “online” or “available”.
Using these applications means just a single-click to leave and a single-click to return, while keeping your Online Presence up-to-date.
Download Presence 1.0
I have released these little apps under the Mozilla Public License 1.1 (see the included README.txt). You can download the latest Presence release from here.
Presence 1.0 is really only an “alpha” type release, its under-featured, and buggy. But improvements will follow. If you like the concept, let me know.
There are a couple of known bugs that I will look into correcting for future releases:
- Will not work when Skype and Adium are not open (will launch both applications, then Skype may crash)
Let me know if you find any more problems.
Room for Improvement
As a first release, there is room for improvement. Any ideas or code to contribute, let me know 🙂
- 1.1 – Fix problems that occur when one of the applications is not open
- 1.2 – Add support for iChat, Fire, and possibly other IM applications (MSN for Mac mabye).
- 2.0 – Redevelop as a single application with hot keys
- 3.0 – Add support for different states other than just “available” and “away”
The speed with which these features are implemented will depend on how much time I find I have, and how much feedback I recieve about the concept and which features people would like to see.